Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Very Merry Unbirthday

    Early in the morning, so early that my eyes were not yet unglued, I vaguely remember my son crawling into bed with me.  As the fog began to clear I felt him petting my head and heard him saying: " I love you mommy, you are so beautiful.", and other such endearing things.  
     As the sky began  it's daily metamorphosis the increasing light finally brought me out of my half dream state and slowly to reality.  I began to talk to my little guy about the day, what we were going to do, and so on.  Sensing his high state of energy was buzzing even faster than normal, I started to feel alarmed.  ( You know that sudden instinctual feeling that mother's get warning you that something is not as it should be.)
     Slowly turning around, I see my three year old son sitting there with a large piece of chocolate cake in his lap. The chocolate cake that Daddy had thought was well hidden in the back of the fridge. Chocolate coats his face, clothes, fingers, and consequently probably my hair.  " What are you doing with that piece of cake, and why is it in my bed?" was the first thing that flew out of my mouth.  Looking slightly startled, he decided to salvage the moment the best way he knew how. " Happy Birthday Mommy!" 
     How could I not crack up laughing.  It isn't everybody that rolls over and is greeted in their bed with large pieces of chocolate cake, a grinning little one, and a rousing "Happy Birthday." 

1 comment:

  1. Ha-ha! Good try on the little mans part! I think I might be okay being woken up to a big piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete