Sunday, January 30, 2011

Moments of Quiet Bliss

     I am lying in bed this morning with my three year old holding my hair like a blanket and breathing it in.  Fading in and out of a dream land, I am washed over with flashes of my sweet baby son nuzzling into my skin and breathing in deeply as if he was a diver coming up for air or a humming bird inhaling draughts of sweet nectar.  The way my little baby melts into me is precious beyond words.
     This part of motherhood, I adore.  Last night I was rocking my youngest after he woke up crying.  Normally a sound sleeper, he was having troubled sleep because of a cold.  As soon as I sat down in our well loved green rocking chair and began to sing, his whole body melted, his eyes closed, and he was transformed. Changed from a tense, crying, uncomfortable child into my sweet baby.  Body heavy with sleep, head resting on my chest, so peaceful, so content, so secure.
    What an amazing power it is to be a mom.  What an amazing love.  The ability with a touch, a gentle sway, and a soft note to transform pain to comfort, crying to quiet, and tension to sweet heavy relaxation.
                                                                         Bliss

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful way to describe this aspect of motherhood.

    ReplyDelete