Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Loving that hair

     My son is in the " I can do it by myself" phase.  This goes for everything!  There is nothing that he does not want to do, conquer, and be in control of.  While I know that this is good for  his development, it is most definitely not good for trying to get out of the door. 
     On Sunday I was trying to get everybody out of the door and my son wanted to do his own hair.  Grabbing the spray bottle and a brush he raced away to do his hair.  I decided to let him work at it while I got everything else ready. 
     Time was getting short and his hair needed to be done, so I corralled him and poised myself to tame the three different cowlicks and smooth down the mass of insanity that is his hair.  " But I already did it!" was his protest.  He had done something all right. It looked like a lion had moussed his mane and then jumped on the Millennium Force.  YIKES!  Still he persisted in insisting that it looked good. 
     I know I can hear the parenting "experts" saying to choose my battles and to just let it be, but they are not the ones who have to parade their child through church looking like that!  Striking upon a genius idea I took him over to the mirror to see his hair.  Unfortunately at that moment his male genes kicked in.  " Oh yes, I look gooood!"  Good grief! so much for that idea. 

Doesn't he look angelic. :)
      So, I resorted to the thing I probably should have done in the first place.  " Buddy, Mommy is going to do you hair, and that is all there is to it."   He quickly acquiesced and we finally got out of the door.  One of these days, I will have it all figured out.  Of course by then, I will be a Grandma.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I have often thought the same myself. "Of course by then,...." Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute story!

    My 4-year-old is all about dress up. She is a total princess and I kid you not, one Sunday, she went to church with a tiara and a dress up skirt over her clothes. It was a fight that I wasn't fighting and it's just so 'her' right now. ( ;

    ReplyDelete