Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Noah's Ark Science Lessons : Beginning to Homeschool

     So, I have decided to home school the children this year.  The remarks I get after making that statement have varied from non committal "Ooooh's" to more colorful remarks such as " Are you crazy?!"   There have been a few moments in the last two weeks to which I would have answered the latter question with a resounding "YES."
      Today, however, I felt like a great teacher as my children beamed, raised their hands, asked questions, and engaged in intelligent conversation.  Keep in mind, that this is all qualified by the fact that they are only three and six.  So, we are not quite engaging in rocket science, yet. :) 
      While I was reading the story of Noah as a part of their Bible and Reading lessons, my three year old raised his hand and asked what pitch ( the substance that God told Noah to use to cover the Ark) was. Trying to think in little boy terms, I explained that pitch was like oil, but much thicker.  When I asked him why he thought that this would be good for a boat, he said " I don't know." 
      Seizing the opportunity, I brought a glass of water to show the children that water and oil stay separated, even when stirred vigorously. ( They loved the opportunity to try and defy science by forcing the molecules to combine!)  


     My six year old was fascinated by the fact that the oil continuously rose to the top, and asked if this was how the Ark floated on the water.  Consequently,we began to discuss the concept of water displacement, and why even very large objects can float. 
     Finally, we took Lincoln Logs and dipped one in oil while leaving the other alone  We then put the logs into the water to see how wood floats.  The children got to see that with or without oil both of the logs floated.  However, there was one major difference between the two.  After several minutes in the water, we retrieved and wiped off the Lincoln Logs.  The one that was covered in oil was smooth and the wood was undamaged, the other log, however, was compromised.  It's wood was already showing beginning signs of water damage.
     All it took was a simple question and two open minds to set us off on an hour of incredible discovery. The way their eyes lit up, and the way they readily absorbed the information was immensely gratifying.  Today I felt like a great teacher, and today my children were incredible students! 
      

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! Very good use of the teachable moments. You are already a good homeschool mom.

    Blessings,

    Holly Craw
    Phoenix Homeschooling Examiner
    http://www.examiner.com/homeschooling-in-phoenix/holly-craw

    ReplyDelete